Non GFCI Outlets Causes Fire
Older homes have older outlets in their bathrooms which have continuous currents going to electrical items. This Summerlin home bathroom started on fire after a curling iron was left on. When it started to overheat it did not short out the breaker until it was too late.
Older homes should have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) outlets installed in bathrooms and kitchens. These new outlets have a breaker built in to keep them from being overloaded. If the outlet is overloaded from a surge or overheating it will automatically turn off the current. An outlet such as these would have saved the homeowners from a lot grief.